Saturday, May 11, 2013

Parent Appreciation Week and review

This week was a very exciting, busy week as we prepared to celebrate our parents and our love for them!  On Monday and Tuesday, my four classes listened to a story about Mother's Day and doing something special for the Mother in the book.  That led into the discussion why we do special events and have special traditions.  On Wednesday and Thursday, I read to the four classes a book about Father's Day and we talked about our Fathers.  We continued the discussion about why we prepare and plan for special days and why we take the time to do things for other people.  It was VERY significant on those two days, because the children and I set up for the special "Parent Appreciation Tea" and many of the children wondered out loud why they had to do that.

On Monday and Tuesday, our center was 1) learning how to pour water out of a container and into a cup without spilling and 2) setting the table.  Learning to pour water out of a container helps a child practice eye-hand coordination (important for development) and gives them added confidence, especially when they do it for their parents!  Learning to set the table teaches the child how to follow directions and copy what the teacher modeled.  It teaches them that doing a special routine/ritualistic action like setting the table brings joy to other people and confidence to themselves.  Think about churches, weddings, funerals, Christmas, Birthdays - all special routines/rituals that adds to a person's self in a positive way.  On Wednesday and Thursday, the children were able to proudly show their parents their beautifully set table and how skillful they are when it comes to serving their parent water.  I wanted to teach them how to serve food, but I didn't quite know how to do that, since I waited to shop for food on Tuesday, so that it was all fresh.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I showed some classes and talked to other classes about how to make a traditional cucumber sandwich.  I didn't know a lot about tea parties (the English kind), so I did some research into what food was served and how to make the perfect pot of tea.  Typical food is biscuits (cookies), cakes, cucumber sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, ham salad sandwiches, bread, butter, jam, and other goodies.

Since my only knowledge of tea parties was from the movie "Alice in Wonderland", that was my inspiration when I decorated.  I added details like a white rose painted red, the words "drink me" on juice boxes, a white rabbit with a pocket watch, red roses, Queen playing cards, hanging lanterns, hanging orbs, and on Wednesday and Thursday, the children and I spelled out "eat me" on graham crackers.

I showed the children clips from "Alice in Wonderland" not only to show them how it matches our party, but mostly, because this movie and Lewis Carroll's books: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are referenced in many other books, TV shows, commercials, cartoons, and children's books.  I believe it's important to get the first-hand, original exposure, so that there is greater learning connection later.

The parents were very surprised and impressed with our tea party!  This will forever be a wonderful memory that the preschoolers and the parents can forever share and think about.

Here are the photos of this week leading up to the party and of the party itself:







 

It was rainy, so we burned off some energy inside.

















Making cucumber sandwiches and then eating some cucumbers.


My "Mad Tea Party" decorations:







Me (Mrs. Esther) and my daughter.


Opps, wrong camera setting.  Let me try again...

...nope, not that one either, let me try again...

There we go!  Much better!

Our set table

Our "eat me" cookies.







My children :)...Happy Mother's Day to me!








Setting up...







Every child was so proud of themselves for being able to serve their parents.





-------------------------
On Friday, my two classes, watched a 35 minute video called "Letter Factory", which is done by Leap Frog.  I have been showing them one clip each week of the matching letter of the week.  This was the perfect time to watch it, because it reviewed ALL of the letters they learned and their phonics as well as the next two letters we will cover (Qq and Zz).  We practiced writing the letter Rr, and I read to them one of my favorite books: Are You My Mother?, by P. D. Eastman.

Mom's: Happy Mother's Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment