Sunday, March 2, 2014

Uu is for Umbrella

For the week of February 18-21, we talked about the letter Uu and Umbrellas.  I love the sound of the letter Uu.  As I make my voice go uuuuuuuup, I imagine I'm Mary Poppins, while I practice my letter Uu sound.

During that week, it was hot.  Ironically, the following week was the heaviest rain we've received in a very long time.

Please follow along as I guide you through the photos that tell what we did that week:

We have new floors and I tried having library time in the Preschool room:




We've been doubling up in assessing the children.  This is our second trimester of testing.  While we pull children aside, the children get choices from a select range of toys to free-play with.






The Preschool class was taught how to use their droppers to drop rainbow rain over the umbrellas.  I was hoping that there would be so much paint covering the umbrella and the surrounding paper, that the umbrella image would appear when we peeled the umbrella away.





The paint was thick and got stuck in the dropper.  We had to add some water. 



After the children dropped paint all over the paper, we decided to let them take a paint brush and sweep across the umbrellas, so that the image would appear.  We quickly peeled away the umbrellas and sprinkled them with glitter.


Imaginative play is so important in development:











Picking a prize from the prize box:












Our number of the week is the number:



In the K-Prep class, we took the paper that the Preschool class' umbrella came from and used it to make a negative print.  We taught them how to sponge on the paint, so that the umbrella image could appear.



The children did a wonderful job following directions.

After we peeled away the umbrella cut-out, the children took droppers and dropped rain of many colors around the umbrella.









The week following this week is the letter "Ff is for Flags".


No comments:

Post a Comment