Sunday, April 15, 2012

Zz is for zoo

This week we talked about the zoo.  I showed them different categories of animals, including insects and asked them which animals or bugs belong in the zoo.  They knew that dogs and farm animals don't belong in the zoo.  They seem surprised to hear that bugs are in the zoo.  I explained that the zoo is a place to see animals we don't get to see around where we live as well as certain bugs from South America or Africa.

I have a wonderful CD called "Peter Paul and Mommy" and on it there is a song called "I'm going to the zoo" as well as "I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor."  We also did some movements to other zoo themed chants.

For art, the children cut out straight strips from black paper.  They arranged and glued the strips down and colored around the strips.  To me it looked like zoo enclosures.  They also made lions out of paper plates.  This project took a long time.  I sent the rest of it home with the Tuesday/Thursday class and the M/W/F class finished it on Friday.

Our centers were to unlock locks, string beads, and sort ocean animals.  They did a great job!

On Saturday, several families went to the San Diego Zoo Safari park to see the butterfly exhibit.  I posted photos on our Facebook page.  It goes with several of our themes including this one - zoo.  Here is the link for the Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/French-Valley-K-Prep-Preschool-LLC/279554935403169

Enjoy the photos!


Children practice cutting, spacial arrangement, gluing, and coloring

My example



The children "read" 2 times while they wait for their friends to wash their hands

Birthday girl!



A wonderful class!

I did it!


Here's your drinks!






Making the lions







No comments:

Post a Comment