Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco De Mayo and Review week

This week we are reviewing all of the letters and numbers we've learned. We say the letter, the letter sound, and the actions that go with each letter.  We played with 2 piece puzzles where the matching piece is the upper and lower case letters.  The children enjoyed that.  Next, I have playdo letter cards.  We rolled the dough into a snake shape and put it on the card.  They have a lot of fun rolling out the playdo and I had to get them back on task.  Finally, I have letter builders, where they put the pieces together to form letters.  For numbers, I have various review games.

For art, we made pinatas.  When I did a test pinata on the weekend before, I followed the instructions from a website.  It asked for watered down glue and tissue papers.  After my test pinata dried, I popped the balloon like I was told, but the balloon wouldn't come off the tissue paper and it shrunk my pinata and warped it.  I tried to think of how I could get it to not stick.  I put the balloons in a ziplock bag, but after the children already applied tissue papers, did I realize that that wouldn't be a good alternative either, because how will the children break the pinata? That night I removed the tissue encrusted plastic bags from the balloons and followed another recipe (which was in my curriculum book the whole time...*double sigh*).  I mixed water and flour, dipped strips of newspaper in it and applied it to 5 balloons.   For the second group, I called one child up at a time, while the others played, and helped apply the strips of newspaper.  They REALLY enjoyed this!  They got special one on one time with me and they enjoyed the uckiness.  The second day we applied colored tissue paper all over the newspaper layer with runny glue.  The M/W/F group spent one more day applying the last of the tissue paper.  I'm going to have the Tu/Th group do that instead of the other art craft.  I want the children to experience a project from beginning to end instead of quickly moving on to something else.

For centers, we strung beads to make a color pattern, made letters with playdo, and played with the hands on games and activities regarding letters and numbers.

Enjoy this week's photos:


um, paint the pinata, not your hand ;)





My future 2012-2013 French Valley K-Prep student!  She joined us for Music at the end of the day.

Musical instruments


Matching letters

rolling out the dough and putting it on the cards

No comments:

Post a Comment