Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hh is for Hats

This week, we read books that focused on hats.  Some students wore hats and I'm kicking myself, because I didn't get pictures :(.  They got to talk about their hats.

In some classes, the children acted out different scenarios regarding hats.  One scenario is to balance bean bags on their heads like the character in Caps for Sale who balanced caps on his head:


My new assistant helping out!

 

The phonetic letter that we focused on was the letter Hh.  The letters we practiced writing were "A" and "Y".  For "Y", I said, "Go down the slide, up the ladder, and add a Popsicle stick"  This imagery helps them when they have to write the letter.



Since we are all comfortable with each other, a lot more talking has been taking place.  It's great that the children want to talk.  I'm going to be paring down my lessons, since we can't get to other areas, with the extra talking.

The art lesson was on how to care for markers and how to use them.  Even though most children have markers at home, they need to learn how to use them in the classroom.  I taught them to put the cap on the end and when they're done, to push the marker into the cap until they hear a "click" sound.  The children colored a styrofoam cup.  I put the cups in an oven set at 300 degrees.  It took less than 3 minutes for the colored cups to shrink into miniature hats :).




Here's a before and after: cup verses elf/doll hat
Here are some more pictures:



This is what library time looks like.


No comments:

Post a Comment