Friday, September 27, 2013

Ss is for Singing and for Sharing

We have been singing a list of songs over and over and over again, because children love repetition, love being able to do something on their own like knowing a song, and we want to sing these songs for you.  Just for fun, the Monday class sang a bunch of songs with the number 5: "5 Little Monkeys, Jumping on the Bed", "5 Green and Speckled Frogs", and "Teasing Mr. Crocodile".  The Tuesday Thursday class enjoyed playing musical instruments, marching in a circle, and singing to the music playing.

Both of the classes also learned the name and sound of the letter /Ss/, the number 4, the color orange, and the square shape.

The Wednesday class is following along with a large version of the Bob Books, by Bobby Lynn Maslen - book 1, set 1 "Mat".  The letters that help make up that story are: Mm, Aa, Tt, and Ss.  Each week, we sounded out the letter sounds that we learned.  We were finally able to put all of the sounds together to get the full story! The next book is: "Sam" - set 1, book 2.  If you have this series by Scholastic, you can reinforce what they learned at home and have your child read to you (for those that are grasping the concept of sounds together)!

On Wednesday, we discussed sharing and listened to a story on the subject about a greedy bee.  I pointed out to my K-Preppers that the word "share" starts with the letter /s/, but doesn't make the /s/ sound.  I explained that in kindergarten and 1st grade they will learn other sounds that letters make like /sh/.

On Thursday and Friday, we went on a field trip.  Those field trip pictures will be in two separate blog entries.

Here are the children playing with the new hopscotch:




We have been watching the gopher in my back yard, poke his head out, dig holes, and fill them back up.  It's been quite exciting from a preschooler perspective.  Regarding my poor magnolia tree that is having it's roots being chewed on by the gopher - that's not so exciting for me and the tree.


Look at how he's ruining my yard:
Is there a gopher lake or farm that I can send him to?





Chatting with my students in a circle.


 On Wednesday, we finished our hand tree art project that will go to one of my student's father's Navy ship.  The children did a great job following directions, except I realized that after the leaves were added, that we couldn't see their cute hand cutouts.  Maybe I didn't follow directions very well.  Oh well - it's the thought that counts.  On Monday, I will have the children pose individually with their art work and then I'll send it off to the sailors who will find it adorable.






Snack time!!  What a great time to socialize!



Check out our Field Trip blogs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment