Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dd is for dragon (and Chinese New Year) 1/23-27/12

This week we talked about and read about dragons!  We also talked about and read about Chinese New Year - this year is the year of the dragon!  The children pretended to be dragons and then played with dragons, a castle, and blocks. 

For art - they blew watered down paint around with a straw.

This week was interrupted with me getting sick.  I hate taking days off for sickness, because it messes up my plans.  For some reason, the Tuesday group didn't get the phonics lesson for the letter Dd.  Since I took Thursday off, they also didn't get the writing lesson for that letter.  I'll have to use a review day to teach that letter to them.  For the M/W/F group, instead of teaching the Friday lesson, I continued with my second day of the letter Dd.  They were able to practice writing the lesson and they got to listen to the song - "Puff the Magic Dragon" along with a beautifully illustrated book.  I also read "There's No Such Thing as a Dragon" - one of my favorites.  I saved the day two art lesson for next week and instead, the group on Friday tried making snowflakes by cutting into a folded coffee filter.

Enjoy the photos and the video clip:




blowing watered down paint with a straw




Fun twisting and spinning in the swings - lots of squeals

climbing the rope ladder

cutting a snowflake - using coffee filters
Light bright - lit up this time.  Putting those pegs in helps build the strength in the fingers and teaches them control




No comments:

Post a Comment