Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review and Martin Luther King Jr.

I find teaching history, and how life used to be like, difficult for this age group.  These little ones are still trying to figure out their current world around them and how they fit in it.  I did the best I could teaching about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The art project of blending colors didn't turn out the way the book said it would.  We had to put the three primary colors (fingerpaints) in a line on a white piece of paper and put wax paper on top.  Then we had to smooth out the paint and try to get them to blend into each other.  When the children were done smoothing the paint out, they had to carefully lift the wax paper off.  I'm wondering if a runnier paint would work better.

In the beginning of the year, I pushed the children in the swing, showed how some of the sand toys worked, and played ball with the children.  Now that they are friends and interact a lot with each other I stand back and watch from afar.  I also want them to use their muscles either playing with sand, chasing each other, or swinging themselves.  If a student asks me to push them on the swings, I tell them, "No", because I want them to use their energy during our short period outside.  Sometimes they seem shocked or heart broken, but I explain that I want them to use their own muscles to swing, instead of getting a ride on the swings.  This has cut down on the fighting over the swings and brought peace to our outside time.

I finally moved the classroom signs, posters, and teaching cards into the new room.  It looks very preschool-like, again.

I bought a new doll house that is a tree-house doll house with tree house furniture.  I am so excited about this!!!!  I feel like a kid and found myself having a lot of fun when I arranged the furniture.  There are a lot of dolls that go with this house.  I also broke out our castle and put it next to the doll house, so that there was a different option.

Enjoy the pictures:

Pegs in a peg board

looking at our review letters

Stilt walking and playing with friends



"Look at me, Miss Esther!"

She's amazing!

Loving the new doll house

Added the castle to give more space
Letter stamping

I love taking pictures of children discovering and learning!

This was a fun activity

After the children stamped letters, they traced them.

Hard at work

The children enjoyed this, even though it didn't turn out the way I expected.


This group playing with the new doll house.  My daughter woke up early.  The children are so good with her!  They're gentle and love to share with her when she wakes up.

Cheese!

Helping each other clean up.  It's neat to see these children grow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Esther, so impressive!! :) The kids all look so happy! So glad your preschool is thriving!!

    ReplyDelete