Saturday, January 21, 2012

Kk is for kangaroo 1/17-20/12

Our theme this week was "kangaroos". Next week, January 26th, the Australians (where kangaroos are from) celebrate Australia Day, which is why we talked about kangaroos. One little girl's Mother is from Australia, her Nanima (grandma) lives in Australia, and I lived in Australia for a year. We had lots to talk about and I had pictures to show. I also showed them my boomerangs.

Our centers were 1) to screw plastic or wooden bolts and nuts together, 2) stamp letters, and 3) put pegs in the light bright.

I started testing the children this week. I only tested them on the areas that they didn't know in October. I am so excited how they have improved!!! I made the mistake of not making a copy of the first results. I started erasing the 1's and writing 3's for what they know now. If you've kept your copy of the first time they were tested, you'll be able to see where they've grown. By the time May comes along, I'm hoping to see mostly 3's on everyone's report cards.

For art: 1) We dripped watered down paint onto a paper that was sprayed with water. *You can take it one step further by drawing hearts on their art, cutting the hearts out, and pasting it onto another paper. 2) We took 2 colors - either red, yellow, or orange and spread them out until they met in the middle. The effect was to look like a sunset. *You can take it one step further and paint a black island with palm trees at the bottom of the page where the darkest color sits.

Enjoy this week's photos:




Stilt walking





Putting our shoes on to go outside





Sitting at the big table to learn the art lesson





Instead of buying a kidney shaped table, I use my dining room table to demonstrate lessons.





Drip art





Drip art





Plastic nuts and bolts.  They had to match the color AND the shape.





Wooden nuts and bolts





We had extra time after I did a puppet show, so I let the children use my special puppets.





Passing the objects that begin with the same letter as the letter of the week like key and kettle





Figuring it out





My pointer helper





Changing their picture card to show they are here





Light Bright - AKA - peg board







This is the second time they've done letter stamping.  They LOVE this activity!  In fact, when I said that it time for snack, they said they weren't hungry, because they wanted to keep going.







I love the concentration






















Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments: