Saturday, February 2, 2013

Mm is for Magnets

For the week of January 22nd-25th, we learned about magnets and the sound of the letter Mm among other things.  Here are the children exploring various magnets and materials that are attracted to magnets and ones that are not.















  We've been using these magnetic fishing poles that pick up numbers, for some time now, so it's neat to be able to tie it to this lesson.



I pointed out how magnets are attracted to one side and repels away from the other side of a magnet.

I showed them that although I said that magnets are attracted to metal - they are only attracted to metal that has iron in it.  I showed them that it's not attracted to tin foil, because it doesn't have iron in it.  Since we were comparing objects that are attracted to magnets and ones that aren't, I used tin foil in our art project.  With the first group - they crumpled up the foil, painted paint on the foil, then pressed a white paper on the painted foil to transfer the paint.  I really liked the texture that showed up on the white paper, however, it was hard to get the paint to transfer on some of their papers.  I decided with the other three groups to have them paint on smooth foil and press the paper on it, then crumple it up (works the muscles in the hand).  We used a different kind of tool - it was a bottle of paint with a brush attached.  The children had to squeeze really hard to get the paint to flow through the brush.

Here are the photos of our art time:














 For writing, we practiced the capital "G" and dotted lines on pictures that was in the shape of a lower case "c".

Here are some other photos:



They are all actively playing together. I love it!!


Since I and my daughter have been sick for a whole week - we will be playing catch up in our lessons and my blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment